You are voting for

Jacobs Medical Center at UC San Diego

San Diego, CA

HospDetail_26

UC San Diego Health sought to reinvent traditional inpatient care concepts and establish a modern atmosphere that embraced the future of healthcare and the concept of patient-first care. The result is Jacobs Medical Center — a 245-bed hospital and the new centerpiece of the UCSD Health campus. Although one building, the 10-story hospital functions as three hospitals — housing centers for women and infants, cancer care and specialty surgery. Dubbed a “garden hospital,” the building’s organic form artistically interacts with the surrounding environment, and a number of elevated gardens bring nature up to the patient level. Located adjacent to a research facility, the hospital embraces a “bench to bedside” model that facilitates the convergence of research and clinical care, offering the community access to leading edge medicine. Recognizing the important role nature plays in healing and recovery, the hospital is surrounded by a park-like setting that includes gardens of drought resistant plants and both aromatic medicinal and culinary herbs. Floor-to-ceiling windows in 95% of patient rooms look out onto the La Jolla landscape and the remaining 5% look out over elevated outdoor gardens. Combining the patient experience with state-of-the-art technology, every patient room is furnished with an award-winning headwall that seamlessly combines all necessary elements and equipment into one sculptural element.